7 april 2011

Trilogies

I cannot decide what I think about them. They seem to be the latest craze in YA fiction these days. It appears to me that almost every single book that is published is part of a trilogy. And I cannot decide how I feel about that.

On the one hand, it appeals to me. Not only do I know that I like the author's writing and the premise. I also (probably) like the characters and want to know more about them. So getting to linger some more in their universe might be wonderful.

On the other hand, in some cases the trilogy books aren't as good as standalone novels, especially the second installment in the series, which sadly often has lost the charm of novelty but still only feels like a preliminary to the final and resolving book(although there of course are exceptions). If the trilogy was planned from the start, the first two books usually end with a cliff-hanger where I would appreciate some kind of unraveling and not just new questions. Of course, the fact that one usually has to wait so long for the last two books also makes me a bit impatient, especially if the book left too many open questions.

And sometimes I would just like a kick-ass standalone novel.

1 kommentar:

  1. I feel the same about trilogies. I feel like every YA novel is part of a trilogy. There are no stand alones anymore. Some times I don't even read the vsecond book until the third book is out. I hate waiting.

    SvaraRadera

Thank you for your comment! I really appreciate it!